Monday, September 22, 2008

Blessings of Being Sick

What a whirlwind! As of tonight, it'll be one week that we've been engaged. I feel so lucky. Jonny is going to be a great husband. And he got another opportunity to demonstrate that this weekend when I woke up early Sunday morning with some sort of stomach bug. He did a great job of taking care of me (even typing my lesson plans for today while I dictated them to him last night).

We have set the date! Our wedding will be at 11:30 on December 27 in the Jordan River Utah temple. As of now, we're planning to have a luncheon afterwards and then have our reception on January 2 or 3 (depending when we can get the building reserved for). I'll continue to post updates as decisions are made. We welcome any suggestions, though! :-)

One benefit of being home sick is the opportunity to catch up on things that I've been slacking on (the things I meant to do on Sunday but instead slept the entire day!) like writing on the blog. I'm trying to read the whole Book of Mormon during my engagement (to go along with a challenge given to us in Relief Society at church).

Here are some thoughts from my reading today:

1) September 22 (today) was the day the plates were given to Joseph Smith. I feel so grateful to the Lord that he preserved this book for us to have today! I wish the whole world would read it.

2) 1 Nephi 2:12-- Laman and Lemuel have such a reputation for being complainers (murmuring). And in this verse we understand why--because they didn't understand what God was doing. So many times this happens in my life. I get frustrated or upset simply because I'm the one who isn't clued in to God's plan for me. All it takes is some faith...and prayers... I have a feeling I may have to learn this lesson again and again. Its a humbling one.

3) 1 Nephi 3:7-- This is a classic one. The Lord will not give us a commandment without providing a way for us to accomplish it (even though it might seem challenging or even not logical....He always knows more than we do).

4) 1 Nephi 7:12-- God can do all things for his children if we have faith. So let's have faith! :-)

I love my life! I am so grateful for my wonderful family. My mom and my sister, Myrica, (and her adorable son Aiden) came with my roommate and me to go wedding dress shopping on Saturday. I'm so glad they're so close by and so supportive through all these decisions to make! So blessed!

P.S. Even though we won't have invitations out for a while yet, I am starting to make our address list, so if you could send me your address, that'd be great! Thanks!

2 comments:

Turners said...

I hope your feeling better. It was great talking to you the other day! I miss you so much. I am almost through 1 Nephi and have learned so much. I am really enjoying the Book of Mormon. I will talk to you soon. Love ya sweetie

Nicole said...

Hey sorry to hear that you were sick. :(
Thanks for your comments on the scripture study... some things I really needed to hear!
Love ya!